Saturday, June 19, 2010

Beach Therapy

What is it about the sea that seems to be so therapeutic for my soul?  I was born and raised in the Midwest, Illinois to be specific, and what location could be more landlocked than southern Illinois?  Yet, I confess my love of the sea:  the smell of the salty water and its faint taste of salt on my lips, the sounds of the waves lapping the shoreline, the ocean breezes brushing my face.  These things create a deep sense of inner peace and calm for me.  The sea causes me to reflect how insignificant one is compared to its vastness; the idea that all our worries and anxieties are nothing when standing at the shoreline's edge.  At the beach, life is different.  Time stands still and does not move hour to hour.  We become kids again, enjoying the shore's simplicities.  Yes, I could grow old there, sitting on the deck with a good "read" listening to the sound of the surf as it lulls me to sleep.


Gulf Shores, Alabama

No comments: