Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas


The day has finally arrived, the one all kids everywhere are impatiently waiting for--Christmas Eve! Santa's Day! This is the day the clock hands seem to move oh so slowly, if at all. In Christmases past, I remember looking and checking the kitchen clock continually throughout the day. It occurred to me that Santa might never come. Mom had all these kitchen preparations to do, and then we had to eat (which I thought was totally unnecessary!) When Katie and I were 6 and 8 years old, my oldest four brothers and sisters were in their late teens, early 20's. Jerry, the oldest had been at U of I as a student, my two sisters were slaving away at their jobs in Clayton, and Danny was in the Air Force. Looking back, I guess they all shared in the "Santa Experience", helping Mom and Dad make the night truly special for Katie and me. Santa had his routine; he never showed until after we toured the town, catching all the lighted homes on display. By money standards, we were not a rich family, but to me, we never wanted for anything. Mom made sure that all seven kids had a safe haven, and she helped to make "memories" for us down the road. Things we can reflect on in our later lives. Dad was the sort that let Mom call the shots; what she wanted, Dad acquiesced graciously (most of the time!) We were, and still are, a close-knit, happy family. Granted, we are spread out across the country, from California to Florida, but are still in each other's thoughts. Merry Christmas, Family, and a Happy New Year!

No comments: