Monday, July 28, 2008

Summer's Best





Another beautiful summer's day on Lake Carlyle! Basically, I'm a summertime gal despite the intense Midwestern humidity and high temperatures. It's the gallons of sunshine Mother Nature throws our way that lightens up my life and plasters a smile on my face! Nothing is better than relaxing on our newly built backyard deck with a current best-seller such as Swan Peak by James Lee Burke. The flowers are in full bloom and show a majestic array of bright, bold colors! My little herb garden, planted and transported from the Florida Keys (with the help of my sister, Jan in North Port!) are doing fabulous. The dill plant stands beyond the four foot mark! It and the rosemary come in handy when grilling the Alaskan salmon fillets.
Our bird friends have been visiting daily. Along with the multitude of yellow finches come the fleeting hummingbirds performing their acrobatics. We have two first-timers to our home--the Baltimore orioles and a houseful of wrens. Their eggs should hatch soon! Such a sweet birdsong they have! Between my book, the birds, and the blooms, I've been enjoying heaven on earth!
"The thing that a lot of people cannot comprehend is that Mother Nature doesn't have a bullet with your name on it, she has millions of bullets inscribed with 'to whom it may concern”

No comments: